Sunday, March 31, 2013

Tasting - Michael Shaps Petit Verdot

Image credit:
http://www.virginiawineworks.com
Name: Michael Shaps Petit Verdot
Variety: Petit Verdot
Region: Virginia
Country: USA
Year: 2008
Price: $26.95 (Vintage Cellar)

Winemaker's Notes:
Becoming one of Virginia’s rising stars, Petit Verdot is well suited for the Virginia climate and soil. A mall lot production of a very dark aromatic red, this wine has wonderful spice and floral notes.  The color is reflective of the concentration of flavors. Having been in French oak for eighteen months, the wine is rich, with bold tannins, a lot of structure and depth. This is a young wine that has great aging potential.

My Review:
The first, and only other, petit verdot wine I have ever had was my dad's homemade petit verdot. I mentioned this to my professor, which led him to promptly questioned me saying, "That's not a grape you see very often." This made me think that I wouldn't run across it much in the future. Contrary to my belief, here I am facing another petit verdot, wondering what awaits me in the bottle. I found this wine to have a very floral nose, with a light sprinkle of earth, like the florist pulled the flowers leaving the roots on. The palate was earthy with tannins, and a slight oak flavor. This petit verdot continues to leave me very pleased with the varietal, and further solidifies the deep complexity I have found to love in this wine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment