Saturday, February 9, 2013

Tasting - Toasted Head Chardonnay

Image credit:
http://www.toastedhead.com
Name: Toasted Head Chardonnay
Variety: 96% Chardonnay, 4% Viognier
Region: Dunnigan Hills AVA, California
Country: USA
Year: 2011
Price: $13.29 (Kroger)

Winemakers Notes:
This brilliant, golden-straw-colored Chardonnay has distinctive oak flavors paired with robust fruit reminiscent of white peach and Asian pear. It's a rich, crisp wine with great acidity to be easily paired with foods. Barrel fermentation and aging is obvious in the wine, with nice weight and roundness and a nicely developed toasty finish. Pairs well with poultry, seafood in lemon butter sauce, or rich creamy pastas. See the Tasting Notes PDF for more info about the 2011 vintage.

My Review:
I bought this wine with recommendation from my mother yesterday. Today, my girlfriend and I were going threw the freezer and found a 1 pound bag of shrimp and decided to pick up a bottle of white wine to make Shrimp Scampi. After a nice swirl and sniff I didn't find a whole lot special about the wine. I only got a "toasted-alcohol" smell. Even on the tongue I got a bit of alcohol flavor, but it was very smooth. It wasn't as fruity as other wines, but I could taste a hint of a few tropical fruits. I'm still not sure what part of the flavor is toasted oak, but I've been told chewing on a piece of oak might help me find it. I can't really say why, but I do really like this wine. Thanks mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment