Thursday, April 4, 2013

Tasting - Montebuena

Image credit: Vintage Cellar
Name: Montebuena
Variety: Tempranillo
Region: Rioja
Country: Spain
Year: 2010
Price: $8.95 (Vintage Cellar)

Shop Review:
Ripe cherry and blackcurrant on the nose and in the mouth. Pliant and seamless in texture, with good heft and back-end energy. Finishes smooth and sweet, with fine-grained tannins providing shape and grip. Still on the young side but this wine drinks very well with an hour or so of decanting; it’s an excellent value for Rioja.

My Review:
Recently I have been smelling the same things over and over, and tasting what I am about to just start calling "wine" flavors. Nothing really standing out among the rest. But when I run across a wine, like the Montebuena, with very unique aroma and flavor profiles, it gets me interested in wine tasting again. This was a 100% tempranillo. I have seemed to struggle with this varietal, but this one was interesting enough to draw me back. On the nose, this wine offers a very dark black cherry flavor profile, but at the same time leaving you with a crisp feeling. But on the tongue this wine offers a much different story. This wine is heavy in the chocolate flavors. It felt like drinking a dark chocolate milk made with chocolate powder. It leaves your tongue feeling creamy yet like you still have chocolate powder in your mouth. Overall a very interesting and  well crafted wine. (I love tasting new wines!)

No comments:

Post a Comment